Your responsibilities will vary depending on the industry and job type. For example, help desk support at a wireless phone company assists smartphone holders when they have problems with their devices. Someone who works for help desk support may be responsible for training employees and troubleshooting computer, network and security issues as well. Technical Support Jobs include roles as Maintenance Engineers, Help Desk Operators or Applications Support Specialists.
- Analysts typically work at remote locations, but they may travel to help clients or customers onsite.
- Bulk, Breakbulk and General Cargo Operations Addressing bulk terminals’ challenges and explore new developments with advance simulation techniques.
- Our team of experts handpicks these resources based on several parameters and brings to you the best recommendations that you can use to learn a new skill or upgrade your existing knowledge.
- Seize the ability to train your staff remotely without needing to interrupt port operations.
- As a help desk technician, you are responsible for responding to email, chat, or phone queries and offering technical support to customers using computer systems, hardware, and software.
Their primary intention is to ensure a client’s satisfaction and ability to properly operate any machinery or technology they may be having trouble with. Many companies offer How to Become A Successful Java Developer? certification programs that train individuals on specific products so that they have all the knowledge necessary to assist customers with problems regarding those items.
IT Career Paths
Doing these three things will enable you to move up the ranks much faster than most people even dream of. We are looking for a tech-savvy help desk technician to be responsible for providing technical assistance with computer systems, hardware, and software. As a help desk technician, you are responsible for responding to email, chat, or phone Skills Certificate, IT Specialty Front End Developer Truckee Meadows Community College Catalog queries and offering technical support to customers using computer systems, hardware, and software. If you have a working knowledge of various types of technology, you’ll make an excellent help desk support professional. Depending on the field that you work in, you will need to be familiar with using computers, tablets and smartphones.
Keep in mind that some folks will have to wait a long time to speak with you. When they eventually reach you, it’s understandable that they’ll be irritated. You must be patient in order to calm them down and win their trust and confidence. Help desk personnel regularly work with other IT experts to resolve end-user concerns. A help desk technician must be able to collaborate with others to achieve common goals, even if they operate remotely.
Related to How to Become a Help Desk Analyst: Education and Career Roadmap
Help desk technicians also back up data and perform regular software updates to protect an organization’s sensitive information. As you move along in your career, you may start taking on more responsibilities or notice that you’ve taken on a leadership role. Using our career map, a help desk engineer can determine their career goals through the career progression. For example, they could start out with a role such as systems administrator, progress to a title such as information technology manager and then eventually end up with the title information technology director.
The ability to be a team player and support your team members when they need help is a trait that will set you aside from other candidates. Working as a help desk technician just for the heck of doing it versus doing it because you like to help people are two different things. If you are not willing to help, you will likely be unwilling to learn new things and unwilling to go the extra mile if needed. This normally indicates that you would not be a good fit for this type of role.
Choose From 10+ Customizable Help Desk Engineer Resume templates
Whereas in Connecticut and Pennsylvania, they would average $67,522 and $65,027, respectively. While help desk engineers would only make an average of $64,404 in Massachusetts, you would still make more there than in the rest of the country. We determined these as the best states based on job availability and pay.
- If you are wondering what it takes to get a job with an IT help desk, keep reading to learn some traits help desk managers look for in their support team members.
- The hourly wage for help desk technicians ranges from $12 to $44 per hour, depending on location, technical specialty, years of experience, and certifications held.
- They may also be required to travel to different locations to provide support or to install new hardware or software.
- Whereas in Connecticut and Pennsylvania, they would average $67,522 and $65,027, respectively.
- By taking a look through resumes, we were able to narrow down the most common skills for a person in this position.
Within two years you should expect to go from helpdesk to desktop support and from desktop support to junior administration. This is something anyone can easily do if they know what to focus on. However, when you break into an entry-level role (whether it’s the helpdesk or something along the same lines), you need to figure out how to move up ASAP. Great Platform for a proper organised B2B and B2C experience with ease. Imagine you are employed by Simco Technologies, Inc., a small software development company. A new client of your company has commissioned a project to create a private social media app. The median annual salary for help desk technicians in $56,000, according to the latest figures from the US Bureau of Labor Statistics.
Help desk personnel communicate with their peers even during routine tasks like shift changeover. Collaboration enables them to deliver value and should not be overlooked.
- If moving beyond the help desk is your objective, increasing your desire to learn can help you get there.
- Demand for help desk technicians will rise as organizations continue to implement the latest and greatest computer systems to reduce long-term costs and foster a competitive advantage.
- Help desk technician is a job that does not seem to be talked about enough.
- Diploma programs for help desk analysts are rare, but many community colleges and technical schools offer related certificate…
- This customer service training course teaches proven techniques that both resolve issues and increase customer satisfaction.
Take your IT career to the next level with online certificates and degrees from Purdue University Global, an accredited, public, non-profit leader in higher education. With the recent advent of sophisticated online simulations, and PC hardware packages which can be mailed to remote students, help desk technician training works well in a distance learning format. They should have extensive technical knowledge of various technologies and products, including local area network /wide area network technologies. Through our innovative software, we produce market leading, large-scale, distribution and supply chain software products used by customers worldwide. There are a list of courses that cover administration of Office 365 for businesses as well as security and troubleshooting in Office 365. Also there are courses to prepare for clearing CompTIA certification exams. Alison’s free online Hardware courses cover the essential physical and tangible components of a computer such as monitors, keyboards, computer data storage, graphic cards, sound cards, and the motherboard.
What Does a Help Desk Engineer Do
Secondly, you must be able to help customers who likely have little IT experience and are having a stressful and confusing problem without actually being able to see or physically interact with their machine. Not all IT repair specialists have people skills, and not everyone with customer-service-oriented personalities is compatible with IT repair. To be successful in this venture, you need to have both of those skill sets. The client might open a ticket on the organization’s website, where they describe the complaint or question. Depending on the organization’s workflow, the help desk support person usually spends some time opening and responding to these tickets. They may need to research the problem before contacting the client with a resolution.
Training Complete training plans at home or at work, but more importantly, at each individual’s own pace. Seize the ability to train your staff remotely without needing to interrupt port operations.